Northwestern University ∙ Evanston, IL ∙ GPA: 3.76
Sept 2014 – Present
- PhD, Materials Science and Engineering (expected)
Johns Hopkins University ∙ Baltimore, MD ∙ GPA: 3.89
Sept 2009 – June 2013
- BA, Chemistry
- Double Major, Cognitive Science (Computation and Neuroscience Concentrations)
Graduate Research Associate ∙ Huang Lab ∙ Northwestern University
Sept 2014 – Present
- Design self-healing coatings for underwater anti-corrosion applications
- Exfoliate 2D layered materials using polymers as a load transfer medium.
Fulbright Scholar ∙ Kappes Lab ∙ Karlsruhe Institute of Technology Sept 2013 – July 2014
- Automated carbon nanotube separation by programming time-dependent concentration gradients in a high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) system.
Research Assistant ∙ Bowen Lab ∙ Johns Hopkins University
Jan 2012 – May 2013
- Designed and constructed high-vacuum apparatus for collecting metal clusters.
- Conducted photoelectron spectroscopy of biological and metal clusters.
- Programmed machine-user interface for temperature-dependent spectroscopy.
selected writing and editing experience
Contributor ∙ Helix ∙ Evanston, IL
July 2016 – Present
- Work one-on-one with an editor to write articles (monthly or featured) that explain scientific concepts to a nontechnical audience.
- Regular contributor from Jan. 2017 – May 2017
Contributor ∙ SPORK! ∙ Chicago, IL
Jan 2016 – Oct 2016
- Wrote articles explaining cognitive science concepts for a nonprofit organization helping individuals with disabilities.
Ready, Set, Go! ∙ Northwestern University ∙ Evanston, IL
July 2015 – Sept. 2015
- Summer-long program focusing on oral communication of science to a broad audience, taught through weekly workshops hosted by experts in communication and theater.
- Improved skills in presentation (video and live) and interviewing, culminating in a video posted here.
Lead Writer ∙ Team JURBAN ∙ Google Lunar X Prize Competition
June 2011 – Dec 2012
- Supervised all writing projects, including grants and a children’s book, for a student-run team aiming to send a robot to the moon.
Copy Editor ∙ Panamath.org
Sept 2010 – May 2011
- Explained the “approximate number sense” for technical and nontechnical audiences.
Teaching Assistant ∙ Charter School of Wilmington ∙ Wilmington, DE
Sept 2008 – May 2009
- Gave personal feedback on multiple essays for each of over 60 students enrolled in AP English Language and Freshman English, leading to improvement of writing abilities.
Reviews Administrator and Staff Writer ∙ Anime-Source.com
May 2003 – Present
- Contribute over 200 spotlight articles, synopses, and reviews for an anime reviews database that receives over one million hits per month.
- Lim, A.; and Huang, J. Fluorescence quenching microscopy: imaging two-dimensional materials. (2015). Material Matters 10, 64-66.
- Tang, X.; Bumueller, D.; Lim, A.; Schneider, J.; Heiz, U.; Gantefoer, G.; Fairbrother, D.H.; and Bowen, K.H. Catalytic dehydration of 2-propanol by size-selected (WO3)n and (MoO3)n in metal oxide clusters. (2014). Phys. Chem. C 118, 29278-29286.
- Zhang, X.; Wang, H.; Collins, E.; Lim, A.; Gantefoer, G.; Kiran, B.; Schnoeckel, H.; Eichhorn, B.; and Bowen, K.H. (2013). Photoelectron spectroscopy of the aluminum hydride anions: AlH3–, Al2H6–, Al3H9–, Al4H12– and AlH2–. Chem. Phys. 138, 124303-1.
- Zhang, X.; Wang, Y.; Wang, H.; Lim, A.; Gantefoer, G.; Bowen, K.H.; Reveles, J.; and Khanna, S. H. (2013). On the existence of designer magnetic superatoms. Am. Chem. Soc. 135(12), 4856-4861.
- Tang, X.; Li, X.; Wang, Y.; Wespanick, K.; Lim, A.; Mangler, T.; Noessner, S.; Wolke, C.; Grossmann, M; Koop, A.; Gantefoer, G.; Fairbrother, D.H.; Bowen, K.H.; Kiran, B.; and Kandalam, A.K. Size-selected clusters on surfaces. (2013). Phys.: Conf. Ser. 438, 210.
To view my non-academic works, which include science writing, satire writing, and analyses and commentaries in lifestyle and entertainment, please click here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship
March 2015 – Present
National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship (declined)
Fulbright Research Grant, Germany
Aug 2013 – July 2014
Computer Programs Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe Illustrator; Origin
Computer Languages R, Java, MATLAB, LabVIEW, HTML (Basic proficiency)
Foreign Languages German, French, Italian (Basic proficiency); Tagalog (Intermediate comprehension)